What is SharePoint Designer:
Microsoft SharePoint Designer (SPD), formerly known as Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer, is a specialized HTML editor and web design freeware for creating or modifying Microsoft SharePoint sites, workflows and web pages.
- Create sites & subsites
- Create a list or library
- Modify the site layouts with custom coding
- Create workflows for sites, lists, and libraries
In this Blog I will mainly focus on how to create workflow for Sites, Libraries and list using SharePoint designer.
SharePoint Designer 2013 is a free download. To download and install SharePoint Designer 2013 follow these steps:
- Open your web browser and navigate to the Microsoft Download Center: http://www.microsoft.com/download.
- Type SharePoint Designer 2013 in the search field.
- Click the link for “SharePoint Designer 2013”.
- Read the overview, system requirements, and installation instructions. Make sure your system is compatible.
- Select your platform type: 64-bit (x64) or 32-bit (x86) as shown in the figure.
- Follow the instructions to install SharePoint Designer 2013.
Once installed open the SharePoint designer and it should look like:
If a document is uploaded in the shared document library which contains in its name ‘Asset’ then initiate a review process and assign a ‘Task’ for review. Also move the asset to ‘WorkFlow ‘ Library.
Creating work flow
- Open SharePoint designer
- Open the SharePoint site for which work flow need to be created3. Synch SharePoint designer with the SharePoint site
- Copy the SharePoint site url till the site name (ex: http://localhost:30370/subhsite/test/workflowDemo)
- Go to SharePoint designer and click on Open site
- Provide the url just copied and open
- It will take to following page with site information
- Chose list of libraries from the left panel , it will show the libraries available in that site
- Chose work flow form left hand pane , by default it goes to list-workflow but it can be changed by selecting top pane options
- Go to list work flow and chose the Library on which the work flow will run, in this case ‘Shared Document’. Provide name and description of the workflow.
- Create condition and corresponding action to design the workflow
- Copy item to WorkFlowDemo library id the name contains Asset
- Assign a task to review the asset
- Click on To-do-item to give a name and description to the task
- Configure Workflow properties
- Click on workflow on left hand pane and new workflow will be visible
- Click on the new workflow the following page will be presented
- Chose ‘Start workflow automatically when an item is created’
- Save and publish the workflow from top menu
- Log in to your SharePoint site
- Go to the library on which the workflow is designed and add a document that contains ‘Asset’ in it name
- Verify the same has been copied to other Library( here ‘WorkFlowDemo’)
- Go to task and verify that a task has been created
SharePoint designer has capability to create complex workflow, task assignment and notification mechanism. This document has shown how to create a simple workflow on list using SharePoint designer. But SharePoint designer can be used to create workflow on other items like task list or in the entire site. It is a very powerful tool and can provide capability to create business flow around the document management.